YOUNG AND HUNGRY – Brad Lomenick
Young and Hungry- What to do? by Brad Lomenick
I talk to leaders all the time, especially those under the age of 25, who are seeking the quick credibility answer. How do I get credibility now and not have to wait until I am in my mid 30’s or early 40’s before people will respect and respond to me?
Well, great question.
Not sure I have the answer you are looking for. But, I have a theory. The Credibility theory.
Starts with an equation, since I was a math minor in college….. Ultimately, credibility is this:
C = T x (E + E). Credibility = Time (times) Experience + Expertise.
To give some context, here are some thoughts to best gain credibility now:
- Listen. Simple enough
- Find those who are smarter than you, and latch on. Learn from them.
- Become an expert before you need to be– when you are asked for your opinion or involvement, give it or do it.
- Self awareness and self identity- know who you are. You are young- deal with it. Don’t think you know more than you really do.
- Stay focused, but broad. Those who have the most credibility no longer are just experts in one area. You need to be a generalist.
- Learn how to follow. And follow really well. It will position you for authority later.