Highly Recommended Books
Here are some books that I found helpful and some free book recommendations:
1. The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler. I have been listening to Matt Chandler’s preaching this week and I am always blessed on how he points us back to the gospel and to Jesus. The explicit gospel will show us how explicit the gospel really is as we read the Bible. It is like reading the Bible now with a gospel lenses.
2. Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus by Kyle Idleman. Pastor Kyle Idleman doesn’t just want to be a fan of Jesus, he wants to full heartedly commit to him and be a follower of Jesus. But how can you make the leap from fan to follower? In Not a Fan Idleman uses biblical examples to show how the people who met Jesus also had to decide if they were fans or followers, and what it meant for them to then become followers. Being a follower doesn’t mean that you go to church every week, that you slap a Jesus fish on the back of your car, and that you give to charity. That’s what a fan does. What a follower of Jesus does, Idleman observes, is die to themselves each and every moment of the day because ‘you can’t say yes to following Jesus unless you say no to living for yourself.’ In this three part book Idleman helps you to discover whether you are a fan or a follower, how to recognize the invitation Jesus has given, and what following Jesus looks like in your daily life. With humor and real life examples to draw you closer to Jesus, Kyle Idleman compels each and every one of us to Not Be A Fan.
3. ESV Study Bible is the study Bible I always have with me as I do my sermon preparation. I think every pastor needs an ESV study Bible.
4. Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together by Mark Driscoll has helped escalate my friendship with Thammie. A great read for every couple who wants to rekindle their friendship in marriage.
5. And of course, SYNC: How to Know God’s Will for your Life by yours truly. Thanks for all the emails that I have received on my book launch. I hope you continue to spread the word about my book.
And the free book of the week
1. Jesus: The Only Way to God–Must You Hear the Gospel to be Saved? by John Piper. Every John Piper is worthy to be read and this one is free.