Confessions of the clueless pastor part 2
I’ve been in ministry for some quite time now. Being a full time minister for 7 years and a full time volunteer for around 5 years. I was given a chance to minister and preach at a young age. If there is one thing I learned as a preacher and a pastor that I want to share to the next generation of preachers in the area of sexual integrity here are some things that I would tell them.
1. You become more handsome once you start preaching in front even if you are really not so be careful not to take advantage of that. (in reality you still look the same)
2. Stay away from counselling the opposite sex. Believe me, i have heard and seen some stories of how righteous, anointed men of God fall for this trap. If ever you are in a situation where you need to counsel the opposite sex, find a girl in church to talk to her or get your wife involved. Never do it alone.
3. Always go for the safe touch but if you can’t control yourself – don’t touch. I would usually do some side hugs, pat on the back or a handshake. If you are in doubt, don’t touch. Better safe than sorry
4. never share intimates with the opposite sex. Sharing your vision and dreams, your dream wedding and honeymoon and dream wife – share it in your small group not over the phone with some girl. Leave the intimate stuff to husbands and wives.
5. Never drive a girl to her place alone. – I know this is a touchy subject. I have some of the most righteous women friends in church and I wouldn’t want them to ride a cab at night after a meeting. I know this is crazy – but just let her ride a cab and pray that nothing happens to her. I broke this rule a couple of times and I remember the Holy Spirit telling me – “Be very careful. Came home that night and my wife told me the same thing. Must be a God thing!
I might sound legalistic but let me be. If there is one area I wouldn’t trust myself and trust other men – its this area. Crazy standards? Who cares?
a. God cares
b. my wife cares
When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless. Genesis 17:1
Disclaimer: This is just my personal conviction.