an appeal to my Christian brothers
Before our prayer meeting last night I was studying 1 chronicles 7 and the ff verses really struck me and here are some thoughts that I have:
the LORD appeared to him at night and said: ¶ “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a temple for sacrifices. 2Chronicles 7:12
¶ “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, 2Chronicles 7:13
does this scene look familiar – drought, hunger, famine, bad economy, natural disasters, viruses.
but there is something we need to look at in the next verse.
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2Chronicles 7:14
IF MY PEOPLE – not any political party, or a Christian president or an NGO. My people refers to the Christians. What can I do to help rebuild the Philippines.
1. Humble ourselves – admit our mistakes, now that we are not where we think we are or ought to be. Stop the bickering and blaming the government. It is MY PEOPLE who needs to humble themselves. That’s me and you! Not the president.
2. Pray – when was the last time you prayed passionately for our nation. When was the last tie we have lifted up this nation to the Lord.
3. Seek my face – devotion to God. To change the world – the word of God needs to change us first.
4. Turn from their wicked ways – God was not talking to the unbelievers. He was talking to the church. He was talking to professing Christians.
You know what that means?
1. The church is the answer to nation building.
2. The church is the reflection of society. What we do in church is what would reflect in society.
made me think:
1. I complain about SMUGGLING but I buy pirated dvds.
2. I complain about corruption but I don’t pay the right taxes.
3. I complain about video sex scandals but I am into online pornography
4. I complain about our bickering political leaders but my house is in disarray.
5. I complain about bribing police men but I am the one bribing them
6. I complain about politicking when all I do is play politics in my church, and workplace.
7. I complain about child trafficking but I don’t spend time with my kids.
8. I complain about poverty but how much do you pay your household help?
9. I complain about the government doing anything when I do nothing but complain.
If we want our prayers heard and answered, if we want to see this nation changed let us
BE HUMBLE, PRAY AND REPENT OF OUR OWN HYPOCRISY.
Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. 2Chronicles 7:15
I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that my Name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there. 2Chronicles 7:16